For more than 20 years, Nick has assisted the leadership teams of global businesses and key decision makers in governments to manage the challenges and opportunities associated with the changing climate and decarbonisation of economies.
Nick’s background in scientific research (nuclear reactor technology and atmospheric chemistry) provides him with the ability to understand the most complex aspects of policy development, which he combines with a professional curiosity to engage with new and difficult issues. The principle at the core of Nick’s approach is that the challenge of climate change is a financial problem; one of resource allocation, valuation and risk transfer.
His work has encompassed a wide range of services, including:
- the detailed analysis of physical climate impacts to agriculture
- the mapping of information sources and national level capabilities on extreme climate events
- analysis of price discovery factors in emissions trading markets and simulation of carbon exchanges
- the design of policy mechanisms for emissions trading for national governments
- the development of carbon management and trading capabilities in a wide range of businesses.
Nick has been particularly influential in building capacity across the ecosystem of national climate science agencies, consulting and the Australian financial sector.